|HOSTEL RULES AND REGULATIONS
These rules are applicable to both Boys / Girls Hostels.
The Dev Sanskriti Vishwavidyalaya which is vested with the authority of managing the Hostels for both Boys & Girls, has authorized the Chief Warden to manage the affairs of the hostels. The Chief Warden is assisted by a team of Wardens and a Superintendent and all of them are normally residents of the hostels. Maintenance of hostels and mess facilities is managed by the mess superintendent with the help of supervisory staff.
The mission of DSVV is boldly displayed at all important and strategic points in the hostel area. This dictum silently contributes to the healthy environment of commitment and discipline among the students. The students are encouraged to develop community life and inculcate the spirit of tolerance, thus taking care of their psychological and emotional problems and shape themselves to be better citizens. It is in this spirit and sense of direction that rules and regulations are framed carefully for orderly and peaceful living, and to make the students Good Samaritans and leaders of tomorrow. Life in hostels always provides many wits and fond memories and as such all efforts are made to make the living in hostels most memorable.
- Application for admission to the Hostel must be submitted to the Chief Warden.
- The right of Admission to the Hostel is reserved. Admission to the University Hostel will not be made as a matter of routine and it will be at the discretion of the Chief Warden.
- The allotment of rooms to the applicants will be made by the Chief Warden / Warden. The hostellers are not permitted to change their rooms once occupied without the written approval from the Warden.
- Students with chronic medical problems will not be admitted to the Hostel. By chance, if any student with chronic medical problem gets admitted to the Hostel, he/she will be asked to vacate the room immediately, when it is brought to the notice of Chief Warden to enable the student to have proper medical care by the parent / guardian.
- Regular absentees from classes, monthly tests, University Exams and Students scoring less than the minimum pass marks in the monthly tests and the University exams may not be permitted to continue to stay in the Hostel. In other words, admission and continued stay in the hostel depends upon academic performance and also on good behaviour and conduct. The Chief Warden’s decision is final in this regard.
- If a student is expelled from the University for any reason he/she should immediately vacate the hostel on the day of expulsion from the University. His / her continuance in the hostel will be treated as unauthorized occupation.
III. General Procedures
- The hostel rooms are subject to inspection by the University / Hostel authorities to make sure that they are kept neat and tidy and no unauthorized items like liquor, drugs, lethal weapons etc., are kept in the room.
- The hostellers themselves are personally responsible to safeguard their belongings. They are not to keep large amounts of cash or valuables like gold ring, costly wristwatch etc., in their rooms. They should also take care of their purse, calculators, cell phones, computers and books. In case of theft or loss of any items it will not normally be possible to carry out any investigation. The hostellers are advised to keep their rooms, boxes, suitcases, cupboards, etc., securely locked with good quality locks.
- All movements from and to the hostels should be recorded in the movement register kept with the security guard at the entrance of the hostel and should be properly signed. No hosteller is permitted to stay out of the hostel beyond 9:00 pm in the case of Boys Hostel and 7: 00 pm in the case of Girls hostel throughout the week.
- The security guard has instructions to lock the gate after the stipulated timings as mentioned above. If they have any local relatives with whom they intend to stay during weekends, or if they have any local relatives who would like to visit them in the hostel, the names and addresses of such local relatives, duly authenticated by the parents/ guardians, should be furnished along with the application.
- On Sundays on the basis of the turn students of Boys hostel and Girls hostel will go for special meeting with the Chancellor Sir at Shantikunj in the morning up to 08:00am.Staying out beyond 11:00am is not permitted to the girls. In any case they should return to the hostel by 11:00am.
- The hostellers are generally discouraged from going out of the hostels during weekends and holidays. However, in extraordinary circumstances, if they want to leave the hostel, written permission has to be obtained from the Warden. Whenever they leave the hostel for vacations they have to inform the Warden in writing about their travel plan. The girl students, however, are required to obtain permission from the Chief Warden. They are also required to return on the specified dates and submit the slips, (slip is a part of the proforma) signed by their parents as an indication that they stayed with their Parents / Guardian during the weekends holidays/ vacations. In addition they have to “Check out” and “Check in” in the movement register kept with the security guard of the block.
- At the time of starting of the semester, no student should lock any room other than the officially allotted room. Students leaving the hostel after the semester or discontinuing their stay should never lock their rooms and cupboards.
- Students are not allowed to keep any power driven two wheeler vehicles in the hostel.
- The hostellers are not allowed to keep mobile, air coolers, musical instruments, cassette record players, computers, TV’s, electric irons or any electrical equipment without permission. Unauthorised possession will lead to confiscation of the goods.
- The University / Hostel authorities will conduct surprise checks periodically and if anyone is found violating the above rule, disciplinary action will be taken against him/her.
- Cell Phones are not allowed:
- To protect the students from the ill-effects of the Cell Phones, it is fully banned in the campus.
- Students have to submit cell phones to the assistants while taking admission into the hostel. In case of emergency they can use by proper permission.
- For the benefit of students STD facilities and coin box phones are available in the hostels.
Guests are not permitted to stay in any of the hostels.
V. Hostel Discipline
- University is completely residential university, attendence in all the events prior for the students is compulsory.
- Students have to wear Identity Card all the times while they are in class or in the campus.
- Strict silence should be observed between 9:00 pm & 6:00 am.
- Perfect silence is to be maintained in the hostel premises including rooms, bathrooms, dining halls, corridors, common areas etc. Every student of the hostel should have the civic responsibility that he or she should not be a cause of nuisance, annoyance or disturbance to others.
- All hostellers have to attend Morning Prayer at 05:00am and Evening Prayer at 08:30pm regularly.
- All hostellers have to be present in their respective rooms and keep open the rooms between 9:30 pm &10:30 pm every day to enable the Wardens / Block Supervisors to take the attendance.
- The hostellers are not to enter into any unnecessary conversation, discussions, quarrel or altercation in case of any complaint against a written complaint. Complaint is to be lodged with the Warden in the complain/suggestion box.
- The hostellers shall not waste food, electricity & water. Wastage of food is a national loss. If anyone is found indulging in such wastage, he/she will be asked to vacate the hostel, since wastage causes unnecessary and unavoidable expenditure to others.
- Smoking is prohibited in the hostel buildings. Gambling in any form such as playing cards (even without money at stake), consumption of alcohol, use of drugs and narcotics and even possession of such things are prohibited. Anyone found indulging in the use of such things will not only be asked to vacate the hostel but also be rusticated from the University.
- Possession of any lethal weapons or any instrument / contrivance, which is likely to cause physical harm to others, is strictly prohibited.
- If any hosteller is found indulging in any form of instigation / intimidation / threat to any other hostellers he / she will be asked to vacate the hostel forthwith. In this regard, the decision of the Chief Warden is final and binding on the individual’s concerned.
- Students are not allowed to outdoor games inside the hostel to prevent breakages and accidents. Sliding along the hand rails/rest of stairs and fast running/ climbing down should be totally avoided to prevent accidents.
- When leaving the rooms for attending classes or for vacation, etc., fans, electrical gadgets, lights etc., should be switched off. Glass windows are to be closed securely.
- Walking along staircases should be silent, gentle without creating nuisance / noise to fellow hostellers.
- Students are not allowed to stay in the hostel during the class hours unless the stay is unavoidable due to illness or any other valid reason. In such cases they should take the permission of the Deputy Warden and communicate the information to the Chief Warden in writting.
- Hostellers coming to the Hostel after the gate closing hours without prior permission or without valid reason would be fined. Regular late comers will not be allowed to stay in the hostel.
- Clock alarms should be switched off, when not in use. There have been instances when students have set the alarm and gone on long leave, and some of them ringing for hours and spoiling the peace of fellow hostellers.
- Water should be carefully used and not wasted.
- Wrong entry, improper / lack of entry in exit register, signing on behalf of another person, tampering with the entries, proxy attendance and misguidance of any nature are punishable. In case of any quarrel between or among room mates it should be reported to the Warden for appropriate action.
- Absentees / Latecomers (without prior permission from the Warden) will be suitably fined.
- Students coming late / or absent regularly will be expelled from the Hostel. Such students shall not be readmitted under any circumstances.
- Violation of any of these rules would result in punitive action and serious violations would be referred to the “Students Disciplinary Committee”. The decision of the committee would however be final.
VI. Mess Timings and Rules
- All the students of the hostel should take their food in the allotted mess time only.
- The meal timings are displayed at the entrance of the dining hall.
Lunch : 10:00am – 11:30am Dinner: 05:00pm – 07:00pm
These timings are to be strictly adhered to. It is not obligatory on the part of the kitchen/dining hall staff to serve the meals outside the prescribed timings.
- Bringing food from mess to the sick persons in Hostels can be done, after getting the written permission from the Deputy Warden / Additional Superintendent and Estate Officer.
VII. Damages and Recovery
- Rough handling of dining hall furniture, room furniture or any furniture / property or fittings of the hostel is strictly forbidden.
- The cost of damages will be recovered from the caution money of the respective student.
VIII. Arrangements at the time of Vacation
- All hostel students (Boys & Girls) will vacate their rooms before proceeding on summer vacation.
- A separate cloak room will be made available to keep their belongings while proceeding on vacation. Personal belongings should be placed inside locked suitcases, trunks/boxes and should bear complete details. The items kept inside the room are to be entered in the note book kept by the in-charge of the cloak room.
- Students who have kept their belongings in the cloak room should positively report on or one day before the reopening day and move to their respective rooms. Students who come late will not be entertained for any loss of property and will be penalized.
IX. Health Care
- 24 hours Medical facility is available in the campus.
- Any hosteller, who is not well, should report to the Deputy Warden / resident Doctor for appropriate advice.
- If the sick person requires medical care by outside hospital at any time, a form meant for the same should be filled along with the signature of the patient if possible or by the accompanying person and submitted to Deputy Warden / Superintendent / Additional Superintendent for arranging the ambulance.
- A sick student should invariably be accompanied by 2 hostellers or a nurse, while going to outside hospital.
- If the situation warrants, admission to an outside hospital as inpatient, the same is to be reported to the Chief Warden immediately.
- If any sick hosteller requires special diet, the individual should inform the mess supervisor through the warden concerned for making suitable provisions.
X. Other Facilities
- English newspapers and magazines are provided in each hostel. Hostellers are requested to make best use of them. Magazines could be borrowed against the identity cards for limited period so as to enable wide circulation.
- There is a provision to subscribe to the newspapers/magazines to be delivered in the rooms. Hostel Superintendent / Additional Superintendent may be contacted for further details.
- Common TV viewing rooms are provided and they are open upto 8:55 pm. (11 :25 pm on Saturday) so as to allow the hostellers to get back to their hostel room before the silence hour starts. The above TV timings would be very strictly observed without exception what so ever. However, during study holidays and exam period TVs shall not be operated.
- STD booths are provided and hostellers are advised to make the best use of them. In order to facilitate more number of students to avail this facility, each individual is advised to restrict the use of STD calls to 5 minutes at a time.
- A washerman is available in the campus. The hostellers can avail this opportunity.
- The hostellers have to collect their mails from the letter stand.
Although the word ragging is unheard in the premises of Dev Sanskriti Vishwavidyalaya.
Ragging in any form (making unpleasant noise, disorderly conduct, doing any act which causes or likely to cause physical or psychological harm or raise apprehension or fear of shame or an embarrassment to the new student, which include teasing, abusing, playing practical jokes on or causing hurt to such students or asking the new student to do any act or to perform such things which such student will not in the ordinary course willingly do is strictly forbidden. If anyone is found guilty of ragging hel she will be expelled and also liable for prosecution.
XIII. Special rules for Foreign Students
All the rules and regulations given above are applicable to the Foreign Students as well. In addition, the following special rules are meant exclusively for foreign students.
- If any student wants to leave the country on vacation or for any other purpose, the individual will submit a written application atleast 15 days prior to the date of departure to the Dean to enable the office to obtain all the required clearances from the authorities concerned.
- The application should have details such as (i) purpose (ii) duration of stay out side India (iii) full contact address with phone number.
- No student shall leave the town without the written consent as indicated above. Failure will be treated as serious violation of rules and the appropriate authorities will be informed for pursuing further action.
XIV. REVISION OF RULES AND REGULATIONS
The hostel management reserves the right to revise the rules and regulations from time to time
and will Keep the hostelite informed of any changes in the form of notices on the hostel notice
boards.Ignorance of rules will not be accepted as an excuse.
XV. COMPLAINTS AND SUGGESTIONS
Any complaints, suggestions or enquiries are always welcome.