About the Department
The Faculty has one Department: Department of Rural Studies and Sustainability
Yug Rishi Pt. Shri Ram Sharma Acharya, the founder of YUG NIRMAN Mission (the mother organisation of DSVV) has given significant importance to development and upliftment of Rural India. His motto has been that every village should be developed as a pilgrimage centre with the objective of village upliftment and village community service. All efforts be made in this direction treating this as the workshop of village deity. He has emphatically said “upliftment of 80% population (now 68%) is the real elevation of the nation. If this population remains deprived and in neglected state, then it would be illusionary to think that few handful islands of prosperity can provide a base for the progress of the whole nation. Indeed the progress of rural life is the synonymous with national progress. If this backwardness persists, then all claims of national progress, will prove hollow. In this regard his vision is :-
Vision of YUGRISHI is the guide line and vision of the department and to translate the vision into grand reality is the mission of the department. All our efforts and activities are directed to achieve this end.
A model of rural development which can solve grass root problems and can meet the requirement of a village has been named YUGRISHI KI GRAM TEERTH YOJNA by YUG NIRMAN MISSION, which aims at developing SANSKAR YUKT, VYASAN MUKT, SWACHCH, SWASTH, SHIKSHIT, SWAVLAMBI EVAM SAHAKARYUKTA village (i.e. a cultured, addiction free, clean, healthy, educated and self-reliant village which is full of cooperation). This is a spiritual model of Rural India’s development.
Developing such a model of holistic development is the mission of the department.
1. To develop/identify technology and programmes for the rural development in accordance of necessities of rural India based on ground reality.
2. To develop required human resources for rural development.
3. To develop suitable teaching and training programmes.
4. To develop organizational structure countrywide to organize training and developmental programmes at the village level.
5. To develop a network of efficient GAUSHALAS all over the country for holistic development of the village.
1. Curriculums of teaching & training programmes of ‘SWAVLAMBI GRAM VIKAS’ being executed by the department, have been designed, keeping in view that the holistic and comprehensive development of rural areas where 2/3 population of the country resides, should be in accordance with the peculiarities and needs of our country. Peculiarities of our country are that it is Rishi based, village based, Krishi based, Labour based, Rain fed, uneducated and full of diversities.
2. Developing a Public system of development to solve their problems (related to sanitation, health, unemployment, illiteracy, costly and unprofitable agriculture farming, unproductive & productive livestock, awakening and empowering women population, rain water conservation, eradication of addictions and evil traditions etc.), themselves using local human & financial resources.
Object of our curriculum is not confined only to teaching and training but to develop a new unique system of development which is based on SAMAYDAAN (Time donation) and ANSHDAAN(Petty Savings donations). Samayadan is the source of human resource availability and ANSHDAAN is the source of monetary resource availability. Thus the SAMAYDAAN, ANSHDAAN and SHRAMDAAN are the foundation pillars of the public development system. This system is working in the field as well as in the department. All our teaching and non-teaching staffs are SAMAYDAANI (Volunteers).
3. Developing Confidence in Participants (Students and Social Workers) of various teaching and training programmes who come from an ordinary educational and economic background, for their respectful and reasonable livelihood through cottage enterprises. They are given practical training for skill development of such cottage enterprises which are need based & can be established in village with a small investment and can meet their requirements and the requirements of other villagers. Such self employed persons can inspire and guide others for the self employment by establishing small scale business which in turn can help to reduce migration from villages.
4. Establishing Training centres in the field with the cooperation and help of organisational units of ‘YUG NIRMAN MISSION’ (SHAKTIPEETHS, ZONES, and SUBZONES), RACHNAATMAK TRUSTS and RACHNAATMAK KENDRAS, where from training can be given to workers about rural development and too uneducated, semi-educated and highly educated unemployed male and female youth and adults about cottage enterprises for their self-employment. 30 such training centres are working in various parts of the country.
5. Promoting physical labour based cottage industry in accordance with the saying of YUG RISHI Pt. Shri Ram Sharma Acharya “KUTIR UDYOG KO HUR GHAR MAIN STHAAN MILEY, HUR KHAALI HATH KO KAAM MILEY” “Cottage industry in every house, employment to everyone”, as this is the only solution to eradicate poverty and engage our labour resource which we have in plenty. We have to remember this significant fact that India is a country which has 16% population and only 6% land in the world; this means that we have 2.5 times more population on every unit of land. This human resource which seems to be a curse can be converted into a boon if engaged in boosting up cottage industries.
6. Department has developed a live model of Cottage enterprises as demonstration & training which can cater the needs of the village from morning to evening.
A Social system and model of development for Rural India is being developed by Yug Nirman Mission, Shantikunj the mother organisation of DSVV, at National Level under the guidance of Dr. Pranav Pandya, Head of All World Gayatri Pariwar and Chancellor of the DSVV. The Salient features of this model are as under:
This model of self-reliant rural development is being developed by this mission & University in the name of ‘GRAM TEERTH YOJNA’. It aims at developing SANSKARYUKTA, VYASANAMUKTA, SWACHCH, SWASTHA, SHIKSHIT, SWAVALAMBI EVAM SAHAKARYUKTA village (i.e. cultured, addiction free, clean, healthy, educated and self-sufficient village which is full of co-operation). This is a spiritual model for Rural Development.
|Sl. No.||Name||Qualification||Designation||Specialization||No. of Years of Experience|
|1||Mr. K.S. Tyagi||M. Sc. (Soil Science & Agriculture Chemistry ), LLB||Emeritus Professor|
Head of Department
|Soil and Water Conservation & Management, Rural Development, Entrepreneurship Development||Administrative : 31|
Teaching & Training: 22
|2||Dr. T.C Sharma||B.V.Sc.& A.H||Emeritus Professor||Rural Development||Teaching : 47|
|3||Dr. Bhagwan Singh||M.Sc(AG), Ph.D.||Emeritus Professor||Human Resource Development||Teaching: 8|
|4||Dr. Chandramani Shukla||M.A., B.Ed., Ph.D||Assistant Professor||Rural Development||Teaching: 5|
|5||Dr. R.G Sharma||B.V.Sc.& A.H||Animal Husbandry||Industry: 04|
Teaching : 04
|7||Dr. R. K. Gupta||M Sc (Ag.) Agronomy, Ph.D., PGDBA||Crop Production, Seed Improvement, Production Enhancement & Extension in NDDB and Mother Dairy||Industry & Reaserch:35|
|8||Shri D.P. Singh||BE (Mech), Diploma in Agri Implements & Tractors (CSSR)||Bee Keeping, Vermi-Compost, Rural Development, Solid Waste Management, Non Conventional Energy, Farm equipments Management||Agro Industrial Corporation : 32|
DSVV & Shantikunj: 17
|9||Mr. Dilip Sarah||M.Com,MBA, Ph.D.(Pursuing)||Lecturer||Management, (Account & Finance)||Teaching : 05|
|9||Mr. Sahadev Singh||B-Tech Agro Engineer||Rural Development||Teaching : 05|
Research Thrust Areas
Industrialization and its impacts
Solid waste management
Rejuvenation of Ganga River
Epidemiology and Public Health
|Sl. No.||Name of product||Uses in brief||Image|
|1||Chyavanprash||General tonic, ailments of digestive systems, health tonic, Excellent remedy for enhancing the immune system|
|2||Dadima Avaleha||Health tonic made from Pomegranate and numerous other herbs, Excellent remedy for enhancing the immune system|
|3||Anwala Chutney||Made from fresh Anwala, good for digestion, general tonic|
|4||Anwala Candy||Made from fresh Anwala, good for digestion, general tonic|
|5||Anwala Murabba||Made from fresh Anwala, general tonic|
|6||Anwala Jam||Made from fresh Anwala, general tonic|
|7||Mixed Jam||Mixed fruit Jam, good for health|
|8||Apple Jam||Made from fresh apples, good for health|
|9||Guava Jelly||Made from Fresh Guavas|
|10||Lemon Pickle||Made from fresh lemons plus spices, good for digestion|
|11||Mango Pickle||Made from fresh mangoes plus spices, good for digestion|
|12||Mango Chutney||Made from fresh mangoes and spices|
|13||Pragya Dant Manjan||Herbal tooth powder, good for mouth hygiene|
|14||Kamdhenu Dant Manjan||Herbal toothpowder with cow urine, good for mouth hygiene|
|15||Papad & Vadi||Made from pulses and spices|
|10||Paraffin Products||Like cold Balm, Vicks etc|
|11||Soaps & Detergents||For general household use|
|Note : These products should be used only after the advice of a competent medical practitioner|
|Sl. No.||Name of product||Uses in brief||Dosages and precaution|
|1||Cow urine arka||General tonic, ailments of digestive systems such as indigestion, dyspepsia and constipation, urine related disorders, kidney problems, skin diseases, anemia, obesity and cancer etc.||5 to 10 ml arka in half cup of water in empty stomach stage or with 5 ml honey. Avoid eating anything at least for half an hour. Twice a day. In cancer on the advice of the physician.|
|2||Kamdhenu turmeric Ghan Bati||Asthma, common cold, skin diseases, high blood pressure, arthritis, diabetes, common rheumatism, cancer etc.||1 to 2 tablets twice a day after meal with water or as per doctors advise|
|3||Kamdhenu Haritiki Powder||Flatulence,Indigestion, Constipation, loss of appetite, Piles, Rheumatism, Arthritis, Jaundice. General digestor and Enriching hunger. Excellent remedy for Stomach-ache.||1 tea spoon twice a day with warm water or as prescribed by the physician.|
|4||Gomaya massage oil (Pain Relieving Oil)||Gastric problem, massage medium, arthritis, Joint pain, Sciatica etc.||For external use only.Use as massage medium after mild warming. As per need.|
|5||Gomaya Tooth Powder||Various ailments of gums and teeth||For brushing the teeth daily twice a day at least for 5 minutes.|
|6||Gomaya Bathing Soap||useful in all skin diseases, safe cosmetic uses.||For external use only.|
|7||Gomaya Ubatan (Face Pack)||Pimples, face beautifier, skin nourishment, skin wrinkle remover and useful for hair.||For external use only, one tea spoon ubtan plus two tea spoon water or gulab jal or rose water or cow milk. Use as a skin paste on the face. Wash with luke warm water after drying.|
|8||Kamdhenu Kesh Nikhar Shampoo||Hair shedding, grey hair, dandruff etc. are remediated by the product successfully.||Rub 10 ml kesh nikhar on hair carefully and wash after 10 to 15 minutes with warm water.|
|9||Gomaya Dhoop Bati||Environment purifier, general health tonic, safe insecticide full of natural essence.||Leave after lighting.|
|Note : These products should be used only after the advice of a competent medical practitioner|
Internet facilities– Both LAN and wi-fi facilities are available for staff and students.
No. of class rooms- 03
ICT facility room 00
Student laboratory 02
Research laboratory 00
Departmental Library– with more than 700 books along with 2300 books in the central library
Dr. T.C Sharma
Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone – +91- 9258369774
Department of Rural Management, Dev Sanskriti Vishwa Vidyalaya, Gayatrikunj, Shantikunj, Haridwar, Pin- 249411.
Phone No. 01334 – 261367
Intercom/Ext. 5419, 5469 & 5470, Phone- 09258360526
Agriculture & Horticulture
Other useful subjects
Pickles, Jelly, Jams, Murabbas, Squashes, Sauce, Candy etc.
Pickles, Chips etc.
Production of Biogas as a source of alternate energy.
Production of organic manures pesticides as a replacement of chemical fertilizers and pesticides.
Production of various products of day to day use.
Imparting basic knowledge & training in spinning, weaving of woollen & cotton cloths & Durry, Carpet making.
Handmade paper production:- basic knowledge of raw materials used for making hand made paper & producing various kinds of paper products viz. File Cover, Carry bags, Certificates, Greeting & Wedding Cards, Envelops, File Covers & Show pieces, Photo frames, Lamp shades and Pen stands.
Washing & Bathing Soaps, Washing powder, Toilet, Tiles & Drainage cleaner etc
Agarbatti, Mombatti, Chalksticks, Vicks, Balm, Moov etc
Making various daily use items for offices and house hold purposes. e.g. mobile cover, ladies purse & carry bags, shopping bags, office file, Dak Pad & seminar bags, etc.
Extraction of Oil from Mustard, Sunflower etc.
(i) Collection of the waste from the target area.
(ii) Segregation of the waste into different components, such as degradable & non degradable (Plastic, iron, glass, leather etc.)
(iii) Utilization of the segregated material to convert into usable economic by products through recycling.
I. Organic manures
. Hand made papers & its products
II. Selling of non-degradable items
Emphasizing this concept Dev Sanskriti Vishwavidyalaya has run a Solid waste Management project in the university to achieve the clean and garbage free zone over here.
Wastes Garbage if disposed improperly and at unsuitable place then it becomes the cause of polluting the environment and give rise to several kind of fatal diseases but on the other hand if they are managed efficiently then they could become even the source of income and making the environment clean as well as reducing the cost of raw materials for the industries via recycling procedure so there requires the immediate need for waste management.
The most androus task in waste management is that of segregation. The separation of the different categories of wastes is the most difficult task one would find and sometime reject to do it. But without segregation wastes cannot become resource so segregation is the key in waste management. Here in DSVV every residential, offices hostels etc are provided with two types of bins one of blue color and other of green color.
The blue one collects the dry garbage and the green one collects the biodegradable wet garbage which is to be disposed off daily for cattle feed or for vermin composting and the dry ones are collected once in a week and are segregated and sold to the recycling industries receiving a handsome pay in return of it.
All the garbage from Shantikunj and university campus both separately the degradable and the dry wastes where degradable garbage are either dumped off manuring or send for cattle feed and dry ones are separated into different categories and then sold off.
Informal Consultancy to the visitors of department on various aspects of rural development is provided viz. Agriculture, Animal Husbandry, Soil & Water Conservation, Herbal Technology, alternate source of rural energy and self-employment etc. Following areas are also covered in this non-profit consultancy initiative:
Above consultancy is provided free of cost as a practice of social service.